Each year, after they read Animal Farm, it’s become a tradition that the Freshmen at my daughters high school have a contest for the best paper mache pig creation.
The King Pig on Angry Birds was what my daughter decided to create, and didn’t he turn out too cute?
Want to make your own? Here’s the step-by-step tutorial on how she made him:
Lid from a pickle jar
Paint (three shades of green plus black and white)
1. Mix your paper mache paste. You should have everything you need to make it in your pantry.
2. Tear strips of newspaper
3. Wet the paper strips in the paste, and cover your balloon. Tip- Set it in a bowl to keep the balloon from rolling everywhere
4. Let the first layer dry completely (overnight), then hot glue the egg carton sections for feet and ears, as well as the pickle jar lid for a nose and a coiled pipe cleaner for the tail.
5. Cover again with a second coat of paper strips and mache paste. Let dry again overnight. If it’s still weak, add a third coat of paper.
When completely dry, add paint in this order, allowing it to dry between steps
- First shade of green for basecoat
- The nose in the second shade of green
- The eyes in white
- Eyebrows in third shade of green
- Inside the ears, the nostrils, and pupils in black
Bonus- if you have something you can use as a gold crown, you can hot glue it to the top after the paint is completely dry. We had a cardboard crown from leftover party supplies. You could even use a small section of a Burger King crown.
We’re not sure yet if her pig won, we’ll find out later this week.
What do you think, is it a winner or not?