Love is in the air!
If you’ve seen these custom wedding cake toppers on Etsy or elsewhere across the internet recently, and love them but don’t want to pay the high price, then why not paint your own?
Here’s a tutorial to help you make your special day even better!
1. You’ll need the peg people. These little peg people are technically called “wood turnings” and they’re available in various sizes. For these toppers, I use the 3-1/2″ girl doll and the 3-9/16 boy doll body.
2.With a small flat brush, paint a triangle for the white tux collar, as well as the brides dress.
3. Paint the tuxedo to match your custom wedding colors. Also, add a bit of light shading and shadow onto the dress to add the look of a bit of texture.
For the next three steps, you’ll add your custom details.
4. Add your couple’s hair and eyes. Be particular about hairstyle and color as well as eye color.
5. Add the details to the tux and gown, again to match your custom wedding style. This groom is wearing a bow tie and the wedding gown had a silver sash, which I included.
6. Final details. Using a script brush, add your brides bouquet and the grooms boutonniere. This is also the time to add glasses, earrings, a hair bow, necklace, or any other details to your bridal pair. You’ll want to put a protective finish on these, and I use Clear Coat for Milk Paint because it’s non-toxic.
Here are examples of more cake toppers I’ve created. If you’re not feeling quite crafty enough to tackle this on your own, contact me on my Etsy shop, MyArtsyBaby and I’ll be happy to quote a price for your very own.