This project is inspired by this pin, a goal poster by the bloggers at Oh So Pretty, the Diaries.
Arah is the one who chose this project, and I was totally game. We actually had a crafty friend of hers who was in town from college for the holidays join us and make her own as well.
What we used-
terra cotta clay pot
white primer (any paint will do)
tons of magazines to cut our words and pics
matte Mod Podge
The process couldn't have been easier, and it was lots of fun. I haven't made a collage since high school art class
Purchase inexpensive terra cotta pots, and prime them to keep the Mod Podge from soaking into the clay.
Next, turn on your inner child and enjoy cutting your collage pieces from magazines. Our goal was to find inspiration for the coming year, and we giggled and had so much fun with this part.
Once we were finished, just apply the pieces with Mod Podge. We found that although a paint brush works fine to apply it, it's much more fun and messy to do it with your fingers.
It's up to you, go for it if you don't mind the mess.
Once the first coat dried, we each put one additional coat of Mod Podge over the entire pot just to give it a good seal.
After that was completely dry, it's time to plant your flower, seeds, blub, whatever.
I found indoor blubs that were already starting to bud a little, so I hope that's not considered cheating, and my fingers are crossed that they'll live.
Just a little tip here, to avoid a mess when you water your indoor plants, put a coffee filter in the bottom of the pot to prevent the soil from coming through. Works like a charm.
We all got a kick out of our final products. It was funny to read a few of the phrases that ended up next to eachother, and they were all so bright and colorful.
** OF NOTE (and yes, we figured this out the hard way) **
Because Mod Podge is water based, and yes, you do water plants with, ahem, water, if you don't have the Mod Podge sealed well enough, it will turn soggy again if it gets too wet again. My solution, once the water was dry, I added a clear coat of an acrylic sealer and let it dry completely before watering my plant again. So far, this has done the trick and none of the papers have been ruined.
One of these will end up in a college dorm, one is a teenagers bedroom, and the other will be in my craft room.
What I enjoyed while working with my daughter on this-
This was a great first pinterest challenge project. I was surprised at some of her goals for the year, and was impressed at how creative she got with her project. We laughed because I'm usually the one to over-think art and take my time, but this time I just threw that to the wind and just made my collage random. Arah was the one to take her sweet precious time putting everything exactly where she wanted it.
Now, if either of us can keep the flowers alive, we'll be doing really great!
If you'd like to read Arah's take on this project, be sure to check it out over at ArahBella's!